Sunday 9 March 2008

Film Review

I am totally a fan of mushy chick flicks, but this one left me with an odd feeling. I don't really know where to begin with my mix reactions. Obviously I know it is Hollywood and there is a rule about things not being believable, but how someone can apparently legally 'marry' someone else with a small form on the internet with a copy of a birth certificate is worrying. My main concern was the total disregard for fidelity. In my opinion it is sending out a very bad message on relationships. The main character was able to chop and change between these two men, without any real hassle. The conclusion being the original partner just stepping aside ever so easily and letting this woman he had committed to take up with a man she had known for a few weeks.

Beneath the surface was a message about making your relationship all about the wedding, or all about the marriage. In one situation she is making sure the cake, the rings, the catering is all ok, all linked to the wedding and with this man she is always found to be looking immaculate without a hair out of place. In the other situation she is found to be much more herself, going with her feelings and not worrying about what she looks like.

It is an interesting jumble of emotions. As a spectator to these events I wanted her character to be happy, but not by this negative example of how to handle relationships and the feelings of each man involved. I do ask myself what this message says to young people.

(Other notes include my desire for Colin Firth to break out of his typecast role and more shower scenes featuring the torso of Jeffrey Dean Morgan!)

No comments: