Sunday 26 October 2014

Creative Revamp Introduction

There is no easy way to describe my reasons for embarking on the revamp of my home, other than needing a project to focus my attention on after the breakdown of a serious relationship.  But it has helped me discover and engage in a whole new area of creativity.  After living in the same place for ten years, I now have a home that is much more my taste now compared to how I had decorated and accessorised it over the years since moving in.  (not that it was that bad before may I say, but it has been nice to bring a bit of change in!)

As a charity worker, I do not have vast amounts of money to spend of furniture and home furnishings.  I was introduced to an amazing product by some good friends, and this is the brilliant Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!  Explained briefly, this is a product that you paint onto furniture without needing to sand or prime beforehand.  I went to Sally Bourne Interiors as my nearest stockist, and I was well helped and advised by the staff in there.   Their advice to me was to add a little water to the paint as I used it, by decanting it from the tin into a separate container.  This is good as it helps the paint to go further, and to obviously thin it down a bit.  They also helped me with wax and application advice.  A great help to me the novice.  



My whole flat is full of Ikea furniture, which is an easy surface to apply paint to.  I look forward to more challenging projects in the future.  I discovered great sites such as Ikea Hackers, which gave great inspiration for possibilities.  And of course Pinterest was always on hand for ideas too.  So after this will follow blogs on the specific changes I made in each room in my flat.  I am in rented accommodation, but the furniture is mine, so this was a great way to make drastic changes in a place that I do not have full control over.  

No comments: