Sunday 26 October 2014

All About My Lounge Revamp

Now firstly I know that my lounge wasn't that bad before, but I decided I needed a major change. So to start with I simply had a drastic shift round of the furniture. Once I discovered that I could get a digital TV extension cable, the move could be made! I loved the red colour and seriously accessorised with it in a room that had bland 'rented accommodation' walls.  I sketched out some rough plans and went from there!  

Before Furniture Move & Repaint
After Furniture Move
After Furniture Move
I knew that I wanted to make all of the furniture white. This meant painting all of my birch effect Ikea furniture. (ironically I noticed when in Ikea recently that white furniture is cheaper than beech effect....the beauty of hindsight huh?!) I started with one of the smallest items to get used to the paint. 

From there I went on to painting all of the other furniture.  It wasn't that easy!  The cube shelving and media units took a very long time!  Everything needed two coats of paint and wax brushed on, and then wax buffed off!  But the end result was worth it.  I love the combination of grey and white, so decided to paint and accessorise with those colours, using blue to contrast the greys.  I sold some of my red soft furnishing to fund replacing them with new blue, grey and white ones.  

Grey choices 
Bye-bye red!
The previous black wood paint kept yellowing the white chalk paint, so a coat of white gloss stopped this
A splash of blue worked well on these painted canvas'
My old chair-bed that was posing as a poor man's armchair had definitely seen better days, it used to be in my bedroom at my parents!  I gave it away via one of the local facebook groups to a Grandmother for her Grand-daughter.  I found a new chair in my local charity shop and covered it with a throw that matched my sofa.

I am very pleased with the final result.  The room feels a lot more calm and neutral.  The mock brick wallpaper (pinned and blu-tacked up!!) is a great addition to any room!  I have transformed my living space in a way that is all portable if I had to move out.  I sourced new soft furnishing items from Ikea, Dunelm Mill, Store 21, The Range, Sainsbury's, B&Q and eBay!  

After Move & Repaint of Furniture
Before & After Comparison

No comments: