Sunday 12 July 2009

Sunday Mornings

Between my youth duties and deacon duties I am rarely 'just in' a service these days. This morning I was in the support role of youth leadership. On a rotation one leader prepares and the other leader sits in the session and gives help or comment where necessary. One regular girl was in the group today; she is the kind of young person who you secretly, deep down, do not miss when they are not there! She is very loud and has issues with concentration. (To be fair there was a lot of listening this morning, and after a late night I was also struggling to keep up with what one of our lovely volunteers was talking about!!)

We were talking about people being perfect and how no one is perfect. Of course, one bright spark piped up with the classic 'Jesus was perfect'. Naturally, no one disagrees with this...except 'K'. She decided to take on the whole room. No matter where this mixed bunch of young people were in their faith and walk with Jesus, they all jumped on the defence of Jesus being perfect. K had totally missed the point of the gospel and why Jesus had to die. She did not even want to listen as she was sure she was right that "God couldn't be perfect as Jesus must have been crucified for doing something wrong". I tried my best to interject, but she wouldn't listen and spoke over everything. Her best friend and the rest of the group kept trying to explain to her the reasons, but she is currently (I shall work on this!) set in her thoughts.

I took a moment to appreciate how everyone else in the room reacted. Even the ones who were bored and didn't want to be there took the death of Jesus for what it was. Even if I get downhearted by their perhaps slow progressions into living wholeheartedly for Jesus, I know that they carry with them the core values of the faith.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nark 10:17 (NIV)
As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.