Monday 20 July 2009

Is It Just Me...?

I am going to try and write this without causing offence or confusion! I am writing this post as a single Christian girl. Obviously Christians and non-Christians read this blog, so it wont make sense to everyone! But I would welcome any feedback.

Having faith in God is a massive thing for a Christian, and to be in a serious relationship with someone who doesn't share that can be tough and is generally not advised to make life easier. Over the years that I've been in adult relationships I have been with non-Christians, the longest relationship was two and a half years, so it was a serious length of time. I speak from experience about how a match like this does not work very well. Everyone is different and I do not wish to tar people with the same brush.

People have given me so much advice over the years and I'm slowly beginning to realise that I should have listened! This isn't a rant to say that people are not listening to me, I just need to get some things off my chest! I am starting to share more and more about my experiences and how I personally believe that God would want to see us in equal matched relationships, faith-wise. I was always warned about not hurting the other person. If we decide to start a relationship with someone we don't think is right, but will 'see how it goes' and then God challenges us on this, then we will damage the other person and warp their view on God when we decide to not stay with them. Of course not all relationships work out for a whole variety of reasons, but I made this mistake when I was a teenager and I see people doing the same thing when they are adults. I have a friend who has heard from God this week that she needs to be single; so she is going to end her relationship with her non-christian boyfriend, just like that! No doubt this will break his heart as he has no idea or empathy for the reasons.

I had quite a heated discussion earlier today with a Christian friend who didn't think that what I had to say was fair. We were talking about mutual friend of ours who is entering the same dilemma. We agreed to disagree, but I do not want to see this friend hurt, or for her to hurt the person she likes.

More and more of my Christian female friends are getting bored of waiting for 'the one' and settling for long term relationships with non-Christians. I have to battle quite hard sometimes to not join them in this choice. After all, they have someone to go home to at the end of the day. But they do not have someone to stand next to in church, pray with or understand why they do certain things. I will honestly say that I would like more than anything to find myself a decent partner, but I am trusting that it will happen in Gods timing. It is not an easy choice, but I personally believe it is the right one. I do not want to settle for second best when it is someone I aim to spend the rest of my life with.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading Hosea might help give a perspective on what the difference between theory/theology and real life/faith can be.

Don't fall in love with the idea of perfect love, but don't despise it either, just be thankfull if it finds you.

Suse said...

It's not just you! We've discussed this and like you I'm still waiting/believing that the perfect partner will come alone.

Settling for second best is not God's plan! He has a best for us!

Unknown said...

Why Do We Aim For The Fairy-Tale?

Karen said...

It's not just you Ruth! Oh for the fairytale... that's what girls have been taught since before Disney began. Is it too much to ask to be swept off our feet??