Tuesday 29 July 2008

Book Group Review

Me and my friend Caroline decided to start a Christian book group. We had the first 'meeting' last night. (Meeting sounds too formal, it was three of us sat in my garden on a lovely summers evening!) I will attempt to write a little something about each book we read.

We had decided to all try and read 'A Pilgrim's Progress' prior to the first meeting. It was not an easy task. I had been loaned two copies of the book months ago. I sat down on many occasions and tried to read the old English version, it was very difficult. I admitted defeat and was ready to tell the group that (knowing that Caroline was struggling too!). Then I remembered the hardback illustrated copy that I had also been lent. I sat down to read it a few hours before the meeting. I managed to read half of it in an hour, excellent! It made much more sense and was easier for my little brain to cope with! I would recommend for anyone to read it, but in a modern translation, or (as pictured) the illustrated copy I have on loan! I find the parallels with scripture amazing. Here is a description and reviews I found online, they are a lot more descriptive than I could manage!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good idea. Look forward to more reviews.
Not sure how popular 'reading' is with “us young ladies” these days however.