Thursday 18 December 2008

Germany - Day 2

Far too tired this morning from all of the walking we did yesterday! Today Tabea had the morning off so we went to a town called Stade. More beautiful shops and Christmas markets. Purchased myself a few little treats. The most exciting thing was the camembert stall. My once a month purchase from Tesco was freely (in exchange for euros!) available on a market stall. Happy days!!

Still no snow today, I do feel cheated. That or the BBC website lied! Maybe I should write a strongly worded email to the met office!

This afternoon involved some chill time followed by a visit to Tabea´s church. We got to sit in on her hour of youth club. It was different to what I would call a youth club as it was everyone sat round a table for the whole time. Language is not my strong point and I felt so ignorant not being able to communicate with these young people, their English was definately better than my German. All Joel and I could mainly do was sit and listen! The church out here is different, people will attend but not actually base their lives on it. Tabea shared a story involving Mary & Joseph, but then told us that many of the young people will not actually know who they are! The session ended by singing some songs in English, including `What If God Was One Of Us`by Joan Osborne!

We then went to a big supermarket and stocked up on a few treats for the rest of our time here, we couldn´t get too much as our hand luggage is limited, mine especially!! The rest of the evening was relaxing and I got the chance to meet with a guy who would like to follow Jan´s example of doing an n:flame gap year, but in 2010/11!

Words we learnt today....
arschkarte = loser!
tschuess = goodbye/see you

(Found out that Andy who was here previously had taught the youthgroup 'cow tipping' and 'skinny dipping'!!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glückliches Weihnachten passen heraus für das Winterfett auf!