Tuesday 18 August 2009

Upkeep

So I've just been out in my garden. It gets seriously attacked by weeds, slugs, snails and cats. Most plants I buy have died very quickly. I think a big factor in this is my lack of serious watering!! As much as I love my little garden space, I get lazy about it. I only have to go down my stairs, out of my front door and through the padlocked garden gate, but I see this as effort for some reason!! Especially when this routine has to be repeated in order to fill up big watering can in the flat! I find myself buying new plants quite often to replace the ones that are no longer with me!!

It struck me this evening that I think this best sums up my relationship with God. I get lazy! I can't be bothered to make the effort sometimes. I love God a billion times more than my little garden, but my bone idleness (Dad word!) gets in the way and things can get out of my control. I come to my senses and some metaphorical weeding has to be done. Luckily the God I follow is all in support of starting again with new metaphorical plants!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mark 4:3-9 (NIV)
3 Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on the rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times. 9 Then Jesus said, He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

NB. Archeologists reckon the average yield for a head of corn in biblical times was between 10 and 20 seeds, not 30, 60 or 100 so draw your own conclusions.